Why Would You Want to Access Marriage Records?
Marriage records and other documents are great to have when you are trying to get certain pieces of information. Your reasons for wanting this information can be varied. For instance, you may want to research your family history. Or, you may be getting married and you want to make sure that your spouse-to-be doesn’t have any skeletons in the closet. Other reasons why people might want to access marriage records include:
- Background screenings – Marriage records and other documents are often searched by employers before hiring prospective employees.
- Name Changes – If you want to change your name (such as cases of women who are divorced and want to go back to their maiden names) you will need to access marriage records.
- Adoption – If you are trying to adopt a child, you may have to provide proof of marriage in the form of marriage records.
- Passport Applications – Marriage records may be required when you are trying to get a passport for travel.
These Documents Are Used for Genealogical Research
Many people who are researching their family trees use marriage records as part of their documentation. You can learn many things from these records, and all of this information helps to make a thorough family tree that is loaded with information that everyone in your family will want to read, including future generations. Some of the things you can learn from marriage records include:
- Names of the bride and groom
- Names of the bride and groom’s parents
- Where the bride and groom were born
- Where the couple lived at the time of the wedding
- Where the bride and groom were married (church, justice of the peace, etc.)
- Names of the witnesses of the marriage
How Can You Obtain the Documents You Need?
If you don’t know how to access marriage records and other documents, the task can seem really daunting, at least at first. It is actually quite easy to access any public records. All you have to do is contact the right agencies. In order to access most public records, you will be required to pay a small administrative fee. You will also probably be asked why you want to access these records for security purposes. You can go online to learn how to get all of the records you need, for whatever reason you may happen to need them.
When you are searching for any public records, you need to remember that some states do not provide actual copies of the records you need. For instance, some government offices will only let you see a few details from some documents, and you will be required to pay a fee to access this information. It may also be a few weeks before you even see the information.
The thing to do is to check with the government offices in the states where you want to search for public records. Sometimes you can even access marriage records and other documents online, which makes things so much easier.
Search for surname
- June 2013
- April 2012
- March 2012
- December 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- November 2010
- June 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008